- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

Just a cute lil' fluffy thing, for Unpocoloco's request of Shawn and Juliet playing Guitar Hero. Luckily this time my muse didn't try to run in the opposite direction. Enjoy!

"Hey, where did we go days when the rains came?
Down in the hollow playin' a new game.
Laughin' and a-runnin', hey, hey, skippin' and a-jumpin',
"

    Juliet swayed at the file cabinet, the music from her computer the only sound in the otherwise deserted station. Her head bobbed from side to side, lips moving unconsciously, as she tried to focus on the words flooding the report in front of her. She tried to blink away the blur in the words that came with too long of being awake, but it stayed constant, not allowing her to get any work done.

"In the misty mornin' fog with our, our hearts a-thumpin' and you,
My brown-eyed girl, you, my brown-eyed girl."


    Rolling her neck, she figured she wasn't going to get any work done anyway. If she was going to be stuck here all night looking after the station, she may as well enjoy it a little. Shutting the file and locking it in the file cabinet, she began to sing along, enjoying the solidarity of the dark, empty building.

"And whatever happened to Tuesday and so slow?
Goin' down the old mine with a transistor radio.
Standin' in the sunlight laughin', hide 'hind a rainbow's wall,
Slippin' and a-slidin', all along the waterfall with you,
My brown-eyed girl, you, my brown-eyed girl."


    Another voice joined hers, though she almost didn't notice at first. It didn't seem intent on announcing its presence, content to just sing softly in the background.

"Do you remember when we used to sing,
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la la-la-dee-dah,
Just like that?
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la la-la-dee-dah.
La-dee-dah."


    She turned around, and Shawn smiled at her from atop her desk, giving her a small wave. She grinned back, leaning against the cabinet, and listened to him sing along.

"So hard to find my way now that I'm all on my own.
I saw you just the other day, my, how you have grown!
Cast my memory back there, Lord, sometime I'm overcome thinkin' about it,
Makin' love in the green grass behind the stadium with you,
My brown-eyed girl, you, my brown-eyed girl."


    He hopped off the desk and walked up toward her, and she laughed as he took her hand above her head and spun her around before pulling her in to dance. They swayed back and forth through the station, ending at Juliet's desk. She wrapped her arms around his torso, laying her head on his chest.

"Do you remember when we used to sing,
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la la-la-dee-dah,
Lyin' in the green grass?
Bip-bop-bip-bop-bip-bop-bip-bop-bip-bop-bip.
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la,
Dee-dah-la-dee-dah-la-dee-dah-la,
D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d..."


    Juliet turned the sound down on the computer speaker as the song faded to an end, grinning up at Shawn, who was giving her a bemused smile.
    "What are you doing here? It's 1 o'clock in the morning."
    "Spirits wouldn't let me sleep," he joked, having told her a few weeks before, "They told me that a certain detective was all by her lonesome at the PD, and that detective just happens to be my girlfriend, so I figured I should pay her a visit. You seen her anywhere?"
    Juliet smacked his chest, and he just grinned back at her, "You didn't have to do that. I know you love your sleep. Plus, I was the one who volunteered for this, not you."
    "That was nice of you to take Buzz's place. I can't believe Francie went into labor."
    "Isn't it exciting?"
    "For you, sure. I imagine not for poor Francie. The woman is practically a midget. I'm hoping the baby doesn't have too many of Buzz's genes; the things gonna come out a giraffe."
    Juliet's nose scrunched in sympathy pain, "I never thought about that. Youch."
    "Youch indeed."
    "But anyway, I'm assuming you didn't come here just to dance?"
    "Alright, you caught me. I suddenly got the urge to play Guitar Hero and Gus wouldn't play with me."
    "I can't imagine why not."
    "I know, right?" he pouted, "But I figured since you've been working all day already and you must be completely exhausted, that instead of doing work you would play with me? It's no fun by myself."
    She rolled her eyes at the puppy-dog pout on his face, "Even if I wanted to, I can't leave the station."
    "You wouldn't have to."
    "Oh really? And where here is there a place for us to play Guitar Hero?"
    He glanced at the floor, peeking up at her nervously, "Well, you see... I may or may not have had some of the tech guys rig the projector so I could hook my XBOX up to it a few or so months ago when all you guys were out of town for that conference thing."
    Juliet stared at him for a moment, "How often do you come in here and play?"
    "Not... too often. Mostly just with Buzz and Woody."
    "And you never told me about this?"
    "I thought you might be mad."
    "I am mad! I'm pissed! Do you know how many times Carlton has stuck me here by myself doing desk work when I could have been beating all of Gus's records?"
    "So you do want to play?" he glanced up at her hopefully, a tentative smile lighting his face.
    "Of course, where's it set up?"
    "Chief's office. She has a really nice couch."
    "Of course it has to be in Chief's office. So where's the stuff?"
    "The drugs are in my sock. It's my personal stash, though; I double dipped."
    She smacked his arm, rolling her eyes, "The game stuff."
    "You really should specify things like that, Jules. It can cause a lot of misunderstandings."


---

    Juliet slung the guitar strap over her head as Shawn scrolled down the song choices. She chewed her lip as she waited for him to set it up.
    After a few minutes she groaned in frustration, "Shawn! Just pick a song, we can play more than one, you know."
    "I know, I know. I'm just trying to find one that I like."
    "You like over half of these songs."
    "Correction: I'm trying to find a song I can beat."
    "Which is none of them, so we're gonna be here forever."
    "That's just mean," he pouted, "It's hard for me, with my dyslexia and all."
    "Okay, first off, you're not dyslexic. Even a little bit. And secondly, that's for words, not colors."
    "Then what's the one for colors? I think I have that."
    "Oh for crying out loud," she pulled the guitar strap off his neck, scrolled though the songs for less than fifteen seconds, and chose a song.
    "That was freakishly fast."
    "No, you're just freakishly slow. I'm normal."
    Shawn quickly cut off the witty retort on the tip of his tongue as the song came on. He glanced back and forth between the guitar and the screen, trying to make sure his hands were in the right places. He snuck a quick peek of Juliet's screen, who was doing much better than him. He never understood his difficulty with the game, as while he could beat a lot of people in most other games, Guitar Hero had always been a challenge to him.
    He groaned as his mind began to loose track of what he was doing, and he tried to focus his eyes on the screen, leaning forward in his seat. Juliet sat beside him, nestled in the corner of the couch, her legs Indian-style on her cushion. No matter how much he tried to focus his eyes kept pulling to other objects inthe room, mostly the glass fish that always sat on the Chief's desk.
    He pouted, arms crossing on his chest as the song ended, a large 'Fail' coming up on his half of the screen and a larger 'Pass!' coming up on Juliet's. She laughed, moving so she could lay her head on his shoulder.
    "Stop pouting, you're the one who wanted to play."
    "I know... you're just so much better at it than I am."
    "You're not that bad," she badly hid a small smirk, "Plus, you beat me at racing games. I always crash and flip and blow up."
    "That's true," he mumbled, laying his head on top of hers, "Whenever you sign in the driver guy frowns."
    "I don't blame him, he dies quite a bit," She rubbed his wrist with her thumb, feeling his pulse beat below his skin, "You ready to play another round?"
    "Sure, you pick the song again."
    Juliet pulled back to her original position, as did Shawn. She selected a song, not really paying much attention to what it was, as more of her focus was on the man sitting next to her.
    The opening beat played and she snapped her eyes back to the screen, though she'd played this song so much at the Psych office that she could easily watch Shawn for a few moments without missing a mark. He was slightly hunched over his black guitar, intensely staring at the large screen in front of them. Juliet had only seen that look in his eyes when he zeroed in on a clue, or every once in a while, if she would catch him watching her from across the station. She continued glancing at him, for some reason finding him fascinating. I'm probably just sleepy.

    She watched as he tilted his head from side to side, and caught her off guard by glancing at her. With a jolt she realized the song had already ended.
    "I did a little better, but you're usually really awesome at this song."
    She frowned at her score which, while still easily passing, wasn't what she normally got.
    "Yeah, my fingers kept tripping," she lied, giving him an easy smile. He obviously didn't buy it, and watched her from the corner of his eye.
    "Were you watching me?"
    "No!" She exclaimed, embarrassed that he'd caught her, "I'm just tired, is all. It's been a long day."
    "It's okay," he gave her a sleepy smile, and she realized that he was probably just as tired as she was, if not more. Proving her point, he slipped the Guitar off his neck and layed it on the ground, stretching his back with a yawn. She stretched her legs to sit sideways on the couch, and he immediately layed down next to her, his head on her stomach. She stroked her fingers through his hair.
    "S'okay," he repeated, his voice humming low with sleep, "'Cause I watch you sometimes too."
    "When do you watch me?"
    He turned his face into her shirt, and she could feel his warm breath through the fabric, "When you sleep," he mumbled, "You talk a lot. S'cute."
    She let out a laugh, smiling at how cute he himself was being right then, "Go to sleep, Shawn," she told him, swirling his hair through her fingers, "It was sweet that you came but you can't stay awake any longer. You're gonna be grouchy tomorrow and Gus will be mad at me."
    He mumbled something, probably about him not getting grouchy, but was too tired to speak at a normal level and by the end of the sentence was already asleep anyway. Juliet was going to get up and try to do some more work but Shawn wrapped his arms around her waist, keeping her from moving.
    I'll just sit here for a few minutes...

    And she did, but even longer. Because after a few minutes her eyes had drooped almost shut, and her breathing evened. The glow of the screen cast a soft hue on the otherwise dark room, which was starting to swirl and blur. And she was so comfortable. A quick nap couldn't hurt anything. Giving in, she slowly shut her eyes.


---

    Karen unlocked the doors to the building, flipping on a few lights as she walked through the halls, as the sun hadn't come up enough yet to light the rooms.
    "Detective?" she called, glancing around at the mostly empty station. O'Hara obviously hadn't left, as her purse and shoes lay by her desk, and the soft hum of music leaked out her speakers. She was probably around somewhere, and she would pop up in a few minutes. Any longer than that and only then would she start to worry. Though as she opened the doors to her office, she found her answer.
    Juliet was sprawled, fast asleep, on her couch, an equally unconscious Shawn cuddled into her side. Though the boss side of her wanted to wake them up and demand an explanation for the unprofessional behavior, the motherly and womanly side won out, and she let a small smile grace her lips. They were just kids after all, she could cut them a little slack.
    She set her purse down on her desk, eyes wandering to the screen set up in her office and the odd device attached to it. Looking closer she saw it was her projector hooked up by many colorful wires to an XBOX and a few nondescript black boxes. She glanced at the scores featured under the Guitar Hero logo, and felt something eerily close to sibling rivalry stir up within her.
    I could beat that...

    Tiptoeing past the sleeping couple, Chief Karen Vick picked up the red guitar and slipped the strap over her head.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed~ Reviews are like competition to Chief :D


Enter the security code shown below: