- Text Size +

Shawn looked around the luxury suite in disbelief. Yes, he had seen luxurious homes like the Claytons’ and Declan’s, but to find this type of, well, luxury away from home was amazing. That the Doctor would shell out this kind of dough for him and Amy really meant a lot. He walked to the window and looked out over the river. What a view. If only Jules were here.

           

Amy twirled around the room, drinking it all in. She then began to explore. Off to the right was the master suite with a king-size bed. Shawn looked in through the doorway as she ran her fingers along the furniture. To Shawn it looked like a museum or an antique showroom. Strictly, NO TOUCH. “We could fit comfortably on that, eh, Amy?”

           

“No way! This is mine! You and the Doctor can have the other room.”

           

“Is that how you share? Didn’t you learn any better?”

           

“I’ve learned not to share my luxurious king-size bed with fake psychics,” She closed the door on him.

           

“We’ll talk it over later.” He crossed the sitting room to the other bedroom. As it wasn’t the master, it wasn’t as luxurious, but it was still better than any other hotel he had ever stayed – or worked – in.

           

He flopped down on one of the beds and closed his eyes in complete relaxation. He opened them when he heard the main door open. He strode into the sitting room to see the Doctor had returned with a porter who was pushing a rack with suitcases and hanging garment bags. He folded a bill into the man’s hand. The man smiled and tipped his cap before leaving.

           

“What’s this?”

           

“Can’t have you wearing the same thing tomorrow,” the Doctor answered.

           

Amy opened one of the garment bags to find a number of suits. “Those are yours.” She moved on to the next bag and gasped at what she saw inside.

           

“I hope they fit,” the Doctor said. “Not really one for picking out dresses.”

           

“Oh, they’re beautiful.” She took the bag off the rail and nearly hugged it to herself.

           

“Um, I also packed a few other things for you.” He lifted one of the suitcases.

           

Amy looked at him. “You didn’t!”

           

Was the Doctor blushing? “You sly dog.” Amy turned her glare on him. “At least he thought of bringing you something,” he said quickly.

           

“Okay. Yes. That was thoughtful, but don’t you ever do that again without asking.” She stormed into the master bedroom and slammed the door.

           

Shawn kicked off his shoes and sat on the couch, feet on the table. “Why is it that girls are so sensitive about their panties and stuff?”

           

“I know,” agreed the Doctor as he sat. “It’s just clothes.”

           

“They’re called intimates for a reason.” Amy came out of the room in a T-shirt and pajama bottoms. “I bet Juliet doesn’t like it when you go through her things.” She sat cross-legged on a chair opposite.

           

“I’m not even sure which drawer it is.”

           

“Ha!”

           

“As intriguing as this topic is, we have something a bit more serious to deal with.”

           

Shawn grabbed one of the throw pillows on the couch and held it to his chest as he settled back. “It’s definitely alien?”

           

“Yes. At first it reminded me of an incident in Cardiff 1869 at Christmas. They were made of gas and used dead bodies to move around.”

           

“Ooh, zombies!”

           

“But this isn’t the Gelth. There was not gas for them and it just seemed to evaporate.”

           

“What did the Gelth want?” asked Amy.

           

“To take over the world, of course. We were helped by a young serving girl named Gwyneth and Charles Dickens.”

           

“Charles Dickens, ghosts and Christmas?” Shawn looked at him. “You really know how to celebrate.”

           

“So what do you think these aliens want?” questioned Amy.

           

“I’m not sure. I need to find a way to communicate. I’ll need to check with Harry and Arthur to find out if there have been any fatalities or injuries at any séances.”

           

“You think they may have tried to communicate before which could have killed someone? They zeroed in on you because you’re different, that you might be able to handle the Vulcan mind meld.”

           

The Doctor stared, not getting the reference, but Amy laughed.

           

“If you’re attempting to say it homed in on my advanced brain waves knowing I would be able to handle a mental link, then yes. This reading just isn’t giving me enough information to work with.”

           

“That just means we need to get you some more readings,” Amy smiled.

           

“Which means another alien encounter.” Shawn grinned.

Chapter End Notes:
Yeah, a slow chapter, but think of it as building anticipation!


Enter the security code shown below: