- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
You guys were lucky last week with a double update. I might update again tomorrow if I have time.

I'm pretty sure this story is going to be massive because every time I say that there's only a few chapters to go, it ends up being more. I'm still mostly sticking to my plan, it's just my plan doesn't take into account witty banter and description.

Shawn quickly poked his head out the door and looked left and right. ‘Good,’ he thought, ‘no guards’.

For once, Shawn decided to take his father’s advice without a fuss. In his defence, his dad had never suggested taking the evening off and spending it with his lovely girlfriend before. The only downside to the advice was the paranoid hovering of his protection detail. He needed his personal space.

Somehow, he managed to make it halfway down the hall before his burly shadows suddenly appeared at his side. He pulled a face before turning to them and exclaiming loudly, “Woah, I had almost forgotten about you two!”

Gus walked up to him and raised an eyebrow, “The way you just tried to sneak out of the door says otherwise.”

“Gus…” Shawn whined. “Don’t ruin my escape plans by telling them! Now I’ll never get away with it.”

His friend snorted, “Like that would ever happen anyway.”

“Well, now you’ll never know,” Shawn said grumpily. He grabbed his arm, “Come on buddy, the Blueberry awaits.”

Shawn headed off and stopped when he realised his friend was rooted to the ground. He looked over his shoulder to see Gus wringing his hands and avoiding his gaze. The pharmaceutical salesman cleared his throat, “About that…“

Shawn sighed and turned back around, “Gus, I’ve told you, your company car will be fine—“

“No, it’s not that,” Gus interrupted. “You know that forensics girl I was talking to when you stole my car? Yeah, well, I’ve kind of got a date. Like soon. Real soon.”

The pseudo psychic looked surprised at first but his face quickly burst into a smile. He beamed at his best bud and held out a fist. Gus’ top lip twitched a little before he too grinned widely and bumped it with his own fist.

“That’s awesome, man. I wish you luck.” Shawn said as he rocked back and forth on his heels. The grin on his face said it all – he was truly happy for his friend. It was about time his bud got some action.

“Sorry, dude but this means that you’re going to have to find your own way to Juliet’s house.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll just ask—“ Shawn surreptitiously looked over his shoulder at his bodyguards. He paused as he realised just what that entailed, “Oh, great, I’m going to have to drive with them.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

Shawn shuddered and turned a little green, “Did you ever wonder how I managed to beat you to the station earlier today?”

A look of contemplation crossed Gus’ face and, when the implications hit him, he winced, “Their driving is that bad?”

Shawn shrugged and waved his friend off. “Nevermind, it should be fine. Technically, they were just doing what I asked them to do at the time.”

“And that was…?”

“To beat you to the station,” Shawn answered. “I’m sure that they drive normally when they aren’t racing to get to places.”

Gus shrugged and accepted his answer. He gave his friend a pat on the back and began walking to the door. Shawn hesitantly shuffled after him.

As they walked out the building, Gus waved goodbye and headed to his car. Shawn stood at the doorway with his two guards and watched as his friend drove off down the road. He sighed and turned to Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

“Can we take a leisurely, slow, and I mean really slow, drive to my girlfriend’s house?” he pleaded with them.

Just like the last time he had requested a ride with the two of them, they looked at each other blankly for a second before pushing him into the backseat of their car and driving off. Unlike last time though, his request hadn’t seemed to be heeded. Maybe, their ‘recklessly fast driving’ was the only way they could drive.

As they rounded a particularly sharp corner, Shawn swore he could see his life flashing before his eyes. Well, it was more like the events of the last few days flashing before his eyes but, you know, he’d heard it both ways. His Dad was right; he really did need a break from the case.

As they, quite literally, slid to a stop in front of Juliet’s house, Shawn shakily opened the car door and staggered up to her doorstep. When the porch light suddenly turned on, it did nothing to help his disorientation. In fact, the blinding light made it even worse and he found himself tripping over a newspaper and landing hard against the door.

When the door inched open, he nearly fell inside but was caught by some soft hands instead. “Are you drunk?”

“Not at all,” Shawn answered truthfully. His girlfriend looked unconvinced. “But I am very carsick. You don’t mind if I use your bathroom for a second?”

He didn’t give her much time to answer before he stumbled past her and into the bathroom where he immediately walked over to the sink. He gripped it tightly with both hands, using it to hold himself up. When he was sure he could stand steadily, he turned the tap on and splashed some cold water on his face.

For the first time in the last two days, Shawn caught a glimpse of how he looked – his hair was terrible and his signature stubble was starting to resemble a full grown beard. He straightened himself out a little bit before heading to the living room where Juliet was probably waiting for him.

When he entered the living room, Shawn was surprised to see Juliet sitting with the man and the woman he had seen at the station. It took him a second to remember that they were the other half of his protective detail. “Oh, hello. Steve and Mandy, right?”

The pair nodded before the woman opened her mouth to speak. “Randy and Burt just left. It’s our shift to watch you. I hope you don’t mind but Steve will be on point while I finish up the revised criminal profile.”

Shawn shook his head and awkwardly stood around in the doorway. He had wanted Juliet to himself but now that seemed like it wasn’t in the cards. Thankfully, Juliet sensed this and brushed herself off as she stood up.

“Excuse me,” Juliet said politely. “Is it alright if I just have a word with Shawn? Privately, if possible.”

“Not at all,” Steve responded.

Juliet grabbed a hold of Shawn’s hand as she walked past and tugged on it lightly. She led him to her bedroom and closed the door with a soft click behind them.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm still nervously awaiting the final stretch of this tale. It begins with the next chapter.


Enter the security code shown below: