- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I noticed a lot of challenges going unanswered and started to sort through them. I picked this one because even though I have heard stories like this were out there, I just have not found one yet. So I wrote my own.

I am branching out a bit to other challenges that relate to this part in Shawn and Henry's life.

This story is going to follow Henry's realization that something is up with Shawn through the different early trainings he put Shawn through. Hope you enjoy it.

I do not own Psych in any way shape or form.

 

 


Author's Chapter Notes:

The story kind of starts out putting Henry and Maddie in a bad light but I tried to portray them as just busy people, not really neglectful but sometimes you never notice the things happening right under your nose...

 "Much like Lady Gaga, I was born this way."- Shawn Spencer

Santa Barbara November 1981

            “Why is it when you really need something you can never find it?” Henry grumbled. He had searched everywhere for the phone number he needed but it’s like it magically disappeared. That or his toddler son had grabbed it and most likely destroyed it.

            Henry sighed. It wouldn’t be a big deal if he wasn’t running late for court and needed to find the Judge’s number to let him know. “Maddie! Do you know where my address book went?” Henry Shouted across the house. “I need to call Judge Andrews!”

            “Give me a minute! I am finishing up some paperwork!” Henry’s wife replied from another room.

            Grumbling about her paperwork and what she could do with it, Henry continued to look for the phone number. Giving up temporarily after another couple minutes, he walked back into the living room only to find a three year old Shawn standing on a box and dialing on the rotary phone. “No Shawn!” Henry hurried over and scooped him up. “You don’t touch that!”

            “Daaadddyyy!” Shawn whined and reached at the phone again, wiggling in his father’s arms to get loose.

            “No Shawnie. You're too young to use the phone.” Henry scolded, picking Shawn up to put Shawn in his play pen. As usual, Shawn was angry but didn’t cry. He folded his little arms and glared daggers at his dad. Henry ignored him and continued his search. This time in his study.

            The next time Henry came out, Shawn had somehow gotten out of the play pen and grabbed the phone again. This time he was talking into it. Henry, defeated, decided to watch and see what happened.

            “Hi Jud!” Shawn squeaked into the receiver. “Daddy talk to you!” A pause before Shawn raised his voice as if someone was having trouble hearing him. “DADDY TALK TO YOU!” Deciding that was enough, Henry walked up to Shawn. Looking up, Shawn willingly handed him the phone. “Jud talk to you.”

            Henry tentatively took the phone and sighed before starting to apologize to whoever his son ended up dialing. “I’m sorry, my son got to the phone and dialed this number…”

            “Officer Spencer?” the voice on the other side of the line questioned.

            “Yes…” Henry answered surprised. “Who is this?”

            “This is Judge Andrews. You are due in court in five minutes! What are you still doing at your house?”

            Henry stared at his son in disbelief for a moment before the Judge’s question registered. “Oh sorry. I was trying to get a hold of you. My partner was held up and he was my ride. I will be there ASAP.” Henry explained.

            “You better hurry. The prosecution needs your testimony to proceed.” The Judge replied sternly.

            “No problem. I won’t be more than a few minutes late.” Setting the receiver carefully in its cradle, Henry kneeled down to look at Shawn. “Shawnie, tell daddy how you knew the judge’s number.”

            Shawn hung his head and looked down like he always did when he realized he'd done something wrong, and walked over to the phone. He grabbed his dad’s hand and used it to dial. After dialing out the number Shawn let his dad’s hand and gave his dad a sad expression. “Sowwy.”

            Henry was speechless. Henry knew Shawn was there last time he dialed the number, but it was just the once and it was days ago. Before his voice returned, Henry heard the horn honk from outside. His partner had arrived. “Maddie! My ride is here! Could you come take Shawn?”

            His wife came out of the den area, she looked a bit annoyed to be bugged but knew it was her turn to take Shawn to daycare. Maddie picked up her son to put him in the play pen but Henry stopped her. “I wouldn’t do that Madds. He just flew the coop a few minutes ago.”

            “Well what am I supposed to do then?” Maddie asked exasperated. “I have to get ready for work and I can’t watch him. Could you take him to daycare today?”

            “I’m already running late! My partner is right outside and the Judge needs me to get there as soon as I can.” Henry griped, frustrated that this was making him even later.

            “Well we can’t have him running around either! Besides it is on your way!” Maddie pleaded.

            Neither parent noticed that Shawn had already grabbed his coat and started to put on his own slip on shoes. He’d seen his parents do it enough times to figure it out.

            “Fine!” Henry picked up Shawn and his day bag before storming out the door. He had to give Shawn to his partner as he grabbed the car seat from his truck and fastened it to the other vehicle. Maddie was right, the daycare center was on the way but Henry was more upset that his wife had a habit of doing this. She always found some excuse to not have to take Shawn when she went to work.

            They pulled up in front of the home where “Little Rascals” daycare center was housed. Henry grabbed the squirming Shawn out of the car seat. He started to carry him but Shawn protested.

            “Down! I wanna walk!” Rolling his eyes, Henry let Shawn down and took his hand to guide him into the house.

            “Shawnie!” A young woman came to the door and knelt down to greet him.

            “Mandy!” Shawn squealed and gave her a big hug as she picked him up.

            Henry handed Mandy the day bag. “I’ll be back by five at the latest. I have to get going.” Turning around Henry walked out the door in a hurry.

            “Bye daddy...” Shawn trailed off as his dad continued down the walkway without looking back.

            Mandy gave a small frown as she saw Shawn’s sad face watch his dad leave. Mandy gave him a smile and tickled the little boy, making him laugh. “There’s the Shawn I know! Let’s go get your blocks and see what you can make today little man!” She exclaimed and carried him into the play room.

            She stood back, still smiling as she watched Shawn grab the blocks and happily start building his daily project.

----------------------------------------------

            Henry still had the incident from that morning on his mind at the end of his shift. He'd had all day to think about it and realized if anyone knew there was something up with his son, it would be Mandy. She had been watching him almost every weekday since he was a year old.

            Henry arrived at the daycare and rang the doorbell. Mandy opened the door giving him a surprised look, “Mr. Spencer! You're early. I will go get Shawn…”

            Holding up his hands in a stop gesture Henry asked, “Mandy, have you noticed anything…different about Shawn?”

            Mandy widened her eyes and gave him a fake innocent look. “Different how Mr. Spencer?”

            “Mandy, my son can lie better than that and he’s three. What do you know?” Henry asked with a raised eyebrow.

            Admitting defeat, Mandy motioned Henry to follow her. The play area had seven children in it today. Most of them were sitting in small groups and playing together. All but one. Shawn was sitting in the corner with a large block building in front of him.

            “Wow.” Henry was impressed. “Did he build that?”

            Mandy leaned against the wall and watched the younger Spencer put the finishing touches on his new project. “Yes. He builds something different each time. It's pretty neat.”

            “Why? Does he do anything with the things he builds?” Henry was puzzled.

            Giving Henry a sly look, Mandy smirked. “You could say that…”

            As if on cue, Shawn took one of the toy vehicles from the toy chest he was sitting by and started making car noises. “Vroom vroom!”

            Henry smirked. Shawn could be incredibly cute sometimes. Then his son did something unexpected. In a fake deep voice the boy said, “Oonit five we hab a tin fortween at nine nine two White Stweet, be avised the person may be umed.” Shawn then made siren sounds.

            Henry’s jaw almost hit the floor. “He can’t have remembered that.”

            The questioning look from Mandy caused Henry to explain, “About a year ago I was on the way home with Shawn when I got a call over my radio about a 10-14, possible prowler. They told me he might be armed, and my car is Unit 5.”

            Mandy gushed, “Wow! That is so cool he remembered that.”

            “Does he always say the same thing when he's playing?” Henry was thinking that maybe if he had said it enough to memorize it, it could explain things.

            Shaking her head Mandy stated, “No that is the first time I heard that one. Sometimes it's conversations, other times he just builds things. He loves using the letter and number magnets too.” Mandy pursed her lips, unsure if Henry would want to hear this next statement but feeling he needed to know she continued. “He doesn’t play very well with the others, even though he is nice to them. I just don’t think that the other kids get him, if you know what I mean. He isn’t very socialized to begin with being an only child.”

            “Do you think there is something wrong with him?” Fear showed in Henry’s features. He had the same fear every parent had when told their child was different. His first thought was Shawn had a disability. He had heard of people being really good with numbers but having learning disabilities in other areas.

            “No, not at all." Mandy said quickly. "Near as I can tell he is just really smart. You might want to have him tested.” Mandy gave Henry a sidelong glance. “You honestly haven’t noticed anything off before?”

            “To tell you the truth both Maddie and I have been pretty busy lately…” Henry thought about it and he had not paid attention to his son in quite a while. Feeling guilty he made a decision. He would try to spend more time with him and keep an eye on his behaviors.

            Obviously seeing the distraught look on Henry’s face Mandy decided that was her exit cue. “Well, I'll go him.”

            “Yeah thanks.” He watched as Mandy went over and bend down to his son letting him know it was time to go.

            Shawn looked at his block house and casually removed one of the bottom blocks, causing the entire thing to fall apart. Damn kid, I guess I really need to get to know you better. Henry thought sadly as Shawn finished putting away his toys and got ready to go home.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I will update this one as much as possible but it is kind of my fluffy thing to do while taking breathers between the main series I am writing. I have a bunch written already so I will post as much as I am able to type.



Enter the security code shown below: