- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A continuation of Chief Vick's goodbye scene.
"I don't want you to go." Juliet knew she sounded like a little girl, but at the moment she didn't care. In fact, she felt a bit like a little girl. She felt like she was seven years old again, her daddy packing up and leaving the house, and her begging him to stay. He promised he'd be back, that he'd come to her dance recital, but Juliet still couldn't help but cry.

"Juliet, take a seat," Karen said as they pulled out of the hug. She obeyed, although she hadn't been expecting this, wiping away a stray tear that had made it's way toward her cheek.

"Oh, Juliet." Karen sighed."It just doesn't seem like the time to say goodbye, does it?"

The Junior Detective shook her head, no longer trying to resist crying.

"You've grown so much since we first met," the Chief continued, deciding to tell Juliet exactly why she was before making the offer. "When you first came, granted, there was no denying that would make a great detective, but you were young and naive; you had so much to learn. Never the less, I was impressed, you might even say inspired, by your compassion and kindness, your ability to love. I am so glad that despite the tough job, and perhaps my toughness, those are traits you have not lost after all these years. You've become such an amazing strong woman from the young girl you were back then, and I am so, so proud of you, Detective."

"Thank you Karen," Juliet said, managing a tearful smile, "you don't know how much that means to me. But what are you getting at?"

The Chief took a breath. "Juliet, I know you have so much here in Santa Barbara. You have a partnership the likes of which I've never scene, and a boyfriend that I don't have to be a former detective to tell that he loves you to pieces. And I know that it is a lot to ask you to leave all that. But I also think that by now you deserve something big. Detective O'Hara I would be honored if you would join me in San Francisco.

Juliet's eyes widened. "As your Head Detective?"

Karen nodded. "You don't have to decide now. I just thought I would offer."

Juliet thanked her and was starting to leave, when the Chief called her back.

"And Juliet? I know you and Shawn have been looking into getting a dog, and it may interest you that there are some very affordable housing choices in the East Bay, just a subway ride away from the city. You could easily find a place that fits your cat, a future dog, and your Spencer."

Juliet laughed. "Thank you Karen. I will definitely take it into consideration."

And the more she thought about it, the more appealing the idea became. A job as head detective, working for Chief Vick, and a nice house where she could get a dog, keep her cat, and maybe, just maybe she and Shawn could start a family. Yeah, Juliet might actually take this job.


Enter the security code shown below: