- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Categories: Season
Genres: Humor
Warnings: None

This one kind of got out of control, but it was fun to write. :)

“Shawn!” Gus hissed, looking around with wide eyes. It didn’t matter how hard he strained to see, it was completely dark. “You better not be pulling your Wilting Flower act on me again or so help me I will—”

“Will what?”

Gus barely resisted the urge to scream at the sudden sound of Shawn’s voice in his ear. “Shawn!”

“Shh, Gus, not so loud,” Shawn remarked, although by the lilt in his voice, Gus knew he was smirking. “They might hear you.”

“Who might hear me? There’s nobody here!”

Even though Gus couldn’t see his friend’s face, he just knew Shawn was quirking an eyebrow at him. “We’re here investigating a potential haunting, right? Well, what if there are ghosts and they’re not happy you’re disturbing the peace?”

Gus wasn’t even sure how to respond to that one. He rolled his eyes, knowing Shawn wouldn’t be able to see his expression. “Right. Because we’re real psychic detectives who can scare off the ghosts who have been stealing our client’s snacks.”

“Gus, don’t be that guy who claims to be from Microsoft tech support,” Shawn sniffed. “Our client didn’t hire us to find his missing snacks. He hired us to find who stole his antique coin collection; he just thinks it’s the guy who minted the coins who’s mad that they’re not in a museum. And the snacks didn’t go missing until you checked the kitchen anyway…” Shawn trailed off and gasped. “Gus! You’re the granola thief!”

“I was hungry!” Gus defended himself. “You made me skip dinner to work this case.”

“Oh, so now it’s my fault?”

“Yes! Because if you’d let me eat my burrito, then I wouldn’t be in need of nourishment right now!” Gus cleared his throat. “Besides, we should probably figure out a way out of this garage before it gets too much later. We’re supposed to be working right now.”

“Well, how was I supposed to know that door locked automatically?” Shawn complained.

Then, a noise from somewhere to their left rattled in the quiet around them, and both friends instinctively clutched each other.

“Gus, did you hear that?” Shawn hissed.

“If that was some trick of yours, I’m gonna kill you,” Gus whispered back.

“Maybe it’s the ghosts?”

Gus swallowed. ”Nuh-uh, Shawn. No way. You’re not tricking me like that.”

They both fell silent. The seconds ticked by, and both friends practically held their breath as they strained to listen for any further sounds.

Still nothing.

Shawn had just opened his mouth to say something when the door to the house flew open and they both screamed.

The homeowner stood there, blinking in surprise. “I certainly hope I’m paying you for more than these shenanigans,” he grumbled.

Recovering from his shock, Shawn released Gus’s arms and stepped back, grinning widely. “As a matter of fact, yes! I have solved the case of your missing coins!” He strode inside, brushing past the client and then turning back to face the man. “Better check with your cousin; he’s upset you didn’t share those coins you inherited. He found your hide-a-key and helped himself.”

“Oh…” the man said, nodding slowly as he tried to follow Shawn’s rapid-fire revelation. “So… no ghosts?”

“Nope!” Shawn tapped his temple. “Just some cobwebs in the garage. Come on, Gus! We’re missing happy hour at the taco truck!”

Gus gave the homeowner a nervous smile and a handshake. “Thanks for the opportunity, Mr. Bradley. Let us know if we can help you again.” With a parting nod, he hurried after Shawn. “Shawn! Wait up! I’m the one who drove anyway.” Then a thought occurred to him as he reached the front door, and he paused and felt in his pocket. Then his eyes grew wide. “Shawn, get back here! Stealing someone’s car is a felony you know!”



Enter the security code shown below: